The Fitness Specialist assists with SourcePoint’s Community Programs wellness programs designed to promote optimal aging. The Fitness Specialist will supervise fitness center and aquatic center patrons, provide individual assistance with instruction on proper form and exercise etiquette, and collaborate on development of appropriate exercise regimens. The Fitness Specialist will instruct group exercise classes (land and water-based) as well as provide personal training sessions. The Fitness Specialist will complete projects that help advance wellness programs at SourcePoint.
SourcePoint offers an incredible benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, retirement savings plan (even if you do not contribute), and very generous paid time off.
REPORTS TO: Wellness Manager | FLSA: Full-Time Nonexempt | PAY RATE: $17 per hour.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Class Instruction (50%)
• Assists with wellness program development and implementation
• Develops curriculum, plans, organizes, prepares, implements, facilitates, teaches and evaluates a variety of wellness experiences
• Provides programming, in physical locations (including SourcePoint buildings and in the community) and on virtual platforms, including pre-recorded and online streaming
• Provides group instruction in a physically and emotionally safe environment
Monitoring Wellness Station (20%)
• Assists with the oversight of the Fitness Center, Aquatic Center and all related activities/programs
• Assists with training and scheduling of fitness and aquatics contingent staff, contracted instructors and volunteers
• Understanding of and ability to enforce fitness and aquatic protocols, policies and procedures, including emergency response
• Performs orientations of the Fitness Center to new participants
• Instructs participants on policies and procedures specific to the Fitness & Aquatic Centers
• Interacts with participants and provides accurate information about center programming and organizational services to the general public
Personal Training (20%)
• Provides personal training sessions
• Ensures positive experiences are received by participants while assisting them with their wellness goals
Administrative, Committees, etc. (8%)
• Serves on the Medical Response Team; recognizes and responds to emergencies in accordance with the organization’s emergency response plan
• Assists with the enrichment center team in planning and implementation of all special center events and activities
• Participates in various center and organizational committees as needed
• Ensures all wellness program areas and equipment are clean and orderly
• Reports any environmental hazard, including equipment in need of repair, immediately to the Wellness Manager, or person in charge in the manager’s absence
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills
• Well-developed interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational and administrative skills
• Fluent in MS Office and event/customer management software
• Knowledge of and ability to adapt to technology software and hardware as needed for program delivery
• Ability to meet deadlines and successfully handle multiple tasks
• Ability to promote a positive work culture throughout the organization
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights or weekends as needed
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• An associate degree or equivalent in sports sciences, sports management, recreation, or related degree
• Certification from a recognized fitness organization or equivalent, land and water certifications preferred
• Certified Personal Trainer
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in fitness instruction
• Experience working with older adults
• Certified in First Aid, CPR and AED
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Must be able to instruct water and land fitness classes, stand and move for multiple hours, give verbal instruction while moving
• Must be able to utilize proper tools and cleaning agents to perform routine care of equipment
• Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
In any organization, particularly a small organization, it is necessary to assume new responsibilities necessary to ensure a smooth continuity of operations with the organization. It is expected that other organizational needs will emerge, which will be assigned to the Wellness Specialist.
SourcePoint helps Delaware County adults 55 and better live safely at home and stay healthy as they age. We provide in-home care like Meals on Wheels, a large community center, support for caregivers, and more. And we want you on our team! Come join a wonderful organization that brings a wide variety of expertise and talents together under one roof. At SourcePoint, every team member, from accounting to wellness, contributes to our mission to help our community live well after 55.
A FINAL NOTE:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. At SourcePoint, we know diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.