Reports to: Director of Operations | FLSA: Full-time salary (exempt) position
Working under the direct supervision of the Director of Operations, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for managing the overall Human Resource function for the agency. The agency is comprised of both paid and unpaid (volunteer) team members. Areas of responsibility include; supervising the HR staff, agency-wide recruiting, orientation, training, payroll, taxes, employee benefits, compliance, and general administration, coaching, cultural competency, and volunteer recognition.
This is a highly visible position. The HR Manager has contact with agency personnel and volunteers at all levels and with outside contacts and must have the ability to deal with persons in a professional and competent manner for the benefit of the organization. The HR Manager manages the external relationships with the agency’s benefit brokers and insurance carriers. The HR Manager must work as part of the leadership team and works closely with the Executive Director in creating and supporting a Culture of Excellence that focuses on the areas of employee training, wellness, safety, inclusion, and communication. The HR Manager must adhere to the team philosophy and support both agency goals and staff members. This person must show cultural/socio-economic/racial sensitivity to the staff at SourcePoint as well as the populations we serve.
Essential Job Functions and Expectations:
- Provides guidance, task assignment and oversight to the Human Resource Specialist and the Volunteer Recruiter. In addition, provides oversight for several volunteers supporting HR efforts.
Recruitment and Onboarding:
- Responsible for agency wide recruiting plan for all staff and volunteer positions. Ensures recruiting methods are compliant with internal and external guidance. Total staff positions 100, volunteers 800+.
- Oversees and assists with candidate screening as necessary, provides interviewing and selection assistance as requested by management Ensures recruitment processes meet compliance requirements.
- Responsible for initial onboarding and orientation of new staff and volunteers, working with management to ensure needs are met.
- Provide leadership and guidance to staff about volunteer services and effective utilization of volunteers.
- Develops and ensures the maintenance of effective relationships with employment and volunteer recruitment resources.
Payroll and Taxes
- Responsible for ensuring the bi-weekly payroll process is completed, accurately and timely, including working closely with the accounting department on transactional matters that may arise from time to time.
- Ensures members of the leadership team have the necessary payroll reports and tools as requested.
- Works closely with the Director of Operations to complete the annual payroll budget for the agency.
- Works closing with payroll vendor to ensure accurate completion of required filings.
- Responsible for filing workers compensation premiums
- Works closely with employee benefits broker in identifying employee benefits which meet the needs of the employees balanced with the needs and budgetary constraints of the agency.
- Collaborates with the accounting department on annual selection of employee benefits, including but not limited to health, dental, vision, flexible spending, disability. Provides recommendations to the Executive Director and Director of Operations for benefit contracting.
- Responsible for planning and facilitating annual open enrollment.
- Works closely with the retirement plan administrator and financial advisor to ensure employees retirement needs are maximized within the resources available, this may include coordinating educational opportunities. Familiar with agency retirement plan documents
- Works with all third parties benefit administrators as needed to ensure accurate and timely benefit administration and ensuring all benefit invoices and credits for benefits are paid and recorded timely.
General Administration and Compliance
- Responsible for maintaining the agency pay scale, participates in external salary surveys, completes salary survey on agency positions as needed, recommending pay scale revisions to the Director of Operations and Executive Director.
- Maintains the agency work structure by working with the leadership team to update job descriptions as needed for staff and volunteers. Updates the organization chart, as needed.
- Responsible for overseeing the maintenance of employee personnel files in accordance with current employment practices, agency policies, benefit plan compliance and Labor Laws.
- Responsible for compliance, notices, and records for FMLA, COBRA and Medicare D, Worker’s Compensation, and self-insured unemployment insurance
- Regularly files documents as needed, to the appropriate external/government agencies in a timely manner. (i.e. EEOC, OSHA, Dept of Labor, ODJFS, etc.)
- Regularly provides documents as needed to leadership or external auditors.
- Oversees performance appraisals process to ensure annual completion.
- Keeps abreast of state and local policies, law and regulations, through participation in external committees and organizations (SHRM, Ohio Council, OBWC and seminars.) Informs Executive Team, Leadership and employees of key employment law changes that will affect the agency and ensures agency implementation of these new laws.
- Ensures agency trainings are completed to meet compliance requirements, such as CMS and HIPAA training, assists leadership team with ongoing training and compliance items
- Develops and maintains personnel policies for both employees and volunteers
- Prepare annual budget for Human Resource department
- Provides reports and data to the Director of Operations and Executive Director as needed, prepares reports, and give presentations as necessary to both internal and external groups
- Conducts confidential investigations as requested.
- Investigates and report accidents and injuries involving staff and volunteers.
Consultation, Training, and Coaching
- Provides advice and counsel to supervisors and employees on employee relations matters.
- Trains and coaches supervisors on how to evaluate, coach and discipline employees.
- Conducts management/employee conferences to resolve conflicts or employee grievances, must be able to handle stressful situations.
- Provides consultation and clarification on agency policies and procedures as needed.
Committees and Events:
- Works closely with agency’s Culture of Excellence Committees
- Chairs the TIDE Committee
- Serves as standing member of Training Committee
- Serves as a consultant to the Wellness, Safety, and Communications Committees as needed
- Provides oversight for the following annual events and recognition
- Staff Development Day and other employee recognition activities
- Volunteer recognition events throughout the year.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or a related field. Requires 5+ years’ experience in a Human Resources Generalist role. Requires 3+ years HR leadership experience.
- Thorough knowledge of employment laws and related compliance requirement, including ADA, FMLA, wage & hour, workers compensation, OSHA, document retention and others
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of benefits and related compliance and reporting requirements
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of payroll tax rules and filing obligations
- Proficiency using software programs such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience with payroll software (Paylocity) and Volunteer database (Volgistics)
- Strong organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills, able to coordinate projects from inception. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and work independently
Essential Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time, the person in this position will occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office equipment, calculator, printers, etc.
- Must be able to lift and/or exert up to 20 pounds occasionally.
In any organization, particularly a small organization, it is necessary to assume new responsibilities to ensure smooth continuity of operations within the organization. The Human Resource Manager is required to wear many hats. It is also anticipated that other organizational needs will emerge which will be assigned to the Human Resource Manager.
Please remit your resume, including references to [email protected] with Human Resources Manager in the subject line.